See WikiCars' comprehensive Toyota Camry Hybrid Review.
- 1 Recent Changes
- 2 Styles and Major Options
- 3 Pricing
- 4 Gas Mileage
- 5 Reliability
- 6 Safety
- 7 Photos
- 8 Colors
- 9 Main Competitors
- 10 Unique Attributes
- 11 Australasian Version
- 12 Resale Values
- 13 Design Quirks and Oddities
- 14 Awards
- 15 See Also
- 16 External Links
The Toyota Camry is completely redesigned from the inside out for 2007. Toyota continues to maintain the dependability and safety that have becom synonymous with the "Camry." Most noticeably, the new Camry fashions a new front grille with sleeker, slanted headlights and raised, squared-off trunk with sloping taillights.
Toyota introduced the Camry Hybrid model in May of 2006 as a 2007 model to be sold alongside the 2007 Camry. The Toyota Camry Hybrid uses technology similar to that of the Toyota Prius, Toyota Highlander Hybrid and Lexus RX 400h.
Size of the '07 Camry has increased with a 2.2 inch longer wheelbase and a 1.2 inch wider front and rear track, which increased the interior capacity to over 101 cubic feet.
In 2010, Toyota Australia will begin building the hybrid version of the Camry alongside the normal Camry and Aurion with the assistance of the Federal Government's Green Car Innovation Fund. The Camry Hybrid will be the second hybrid car available in Australia alongside Toyota's current hybrid vehicle, the Prius. In September 1, 2009, Toyota Australia started building pre-production models in small numbers before moving to full-scale production in December.   For more information see: Toyota Camry.
Styles and Major Options
- 2.4L Inline-4 cylinder 2AZ-FXE Atkinson cycle gasoline engine with 147 horsepower and 138 lb-ft of torque
- 650V electric traction motor with 296 lb-ft of torque
- NiMH 245V traction battery with a maximum output of 40 horsepower
- Hybrid Synergy Drive system with 187 net HP and 199 net lb-ft of torque
- Continuously variable transmission (CVT)
- Dual Zone Automatic Climate Control that can run with the engine off
- Electrically assisted rack-and-pinion steering
- Traction Control, Brake Assist
- Split-folding rear seat
- Remote entry and starting
- "ECO" button that limits energy consumption by the HVAC system and under certain conditions can help improve fuel economy
- Use of wheel spats and underbody pans resulting in a low coefficient of aerodynamic drag (Cd) of 0.27
- Satin finished grille, "HYBRID" emblem behind front fenders, blue tinted headlight surrounds, HSD emblem in the rear decklid
- Includes power title/slide moonroof with sliding sunshade, dual illuminated visor vanity mirrors with dimmer control and rear personal reading lights.
Comfort and Convenience Package:
- Includes heated front seats and outside mirrors
- Includes leather-trimmed seats and door trim with integrated armrests, driver and front passenger power seats, and dual front and rear map pockets
- Voice-activated DVD navigation system
- JBL AM/FM 4-disc in-dash CD changer with satellite radio capability
- Digital Audio Media/MP3/WMA playback capability
- Auxiliary audio jack
- Hands-free phone capability via Bluetooth® wireless technology
- 8 speakers in 6 locations and FM diversity reception
- Heated outside mirrors
- The Camry Hybrid retails for MSRP $25,900 and carries a $580 delivery fee, giving it a base price of $26,480.
- Expected U.S. tax credit is $2,600 for purchases prior to Sept 30, 2006. After Sept 30, it will be approximately $1,300.
- Driver and Front passenger Advanced Airbag System
- Driver and Front passenger front seat-mounted side airbags and front and rear side curtain airbags
- Driver's knee airbag
- 3-point front seatbelts with adjustable shoulder anchors and driver-side Emergency Locking Retractor (ELR), front passenger Automatic/Emergency Locking Retractor (ALR/ELR)
- 3-point front seatbelts with Automatic/Emergency Locking Retractor (ALR/ELR) for all passengers
- Outboard rear seatbelt comfort guides
- Front and rear crumple zones and side-impact door beams
- Anti-Lock Brakes System (ABS) with Electronic Brake-force Distribution (EBD) and Brake Assist
- Direct Tire Pressure Monitor System
- Vehicle Dynamics Integrated Management System (VDIM)
- Energy-absrbing collapsable sterring column
- Child-protector rear door locks
- Rear-seat Child Restaint System (CRS) lower anchors and top-tether brackets (LATCH)
- Internal trunk-release handle
- Battery-saver feature - Deactivates interior lights after 20 minutes
- Daytime Running Lights (DRL) with "Off" mode
- Engine immobilizer
- Honda Accord Hybrid
- Saturn Aura Green Line
- Toyota Prius
- Chevrolet Malibu Hybrid
- Nissan Altima Hybrid
- Because it does not achieve an EPA estimate of 45 mpg, it will not meet the requirements to drive in California carpool lanes. Virginia recently qualified Camry hybrids for HOV exemption, but they must be specially tagged by June 30 to be eligible for I-95 & I-395 exemption.
- Exemption for I-66 and Dulles Toll Road HOV usage continues even for registrations beyond June 30. Exemptions for other states unknown.
- Produces 80% less pollution (smog forming emissions) than similar gasoline-only cars.
- 8-year/100,000-mile drivetrain-related component coverage. Longer coverage in CA, MA, NY, NJ, VT, CT, ME, NH and RI: 15-year/150,000-mile coverage with the exception of the hybrid battery. The hybrid battery is warranted for 10 years/150,000 miles.
The Camry Hybrid began pre-production only for tests and trials. The pre-production Camry Hybrid, based on one built in Thailand went through trials in a top secret Anglesea proving grounds. The suspension, handling and steering have tuned by Toyota Australia's engineers to help shed the car from Toyota's 'white goods on wheels' image. As the result, the steering is meatier, the suspension is sharper and sportier without being too uncomfortable to suit Australian conditions and tastes. Not only that, the ride is quieter thanks to a new acoustic-insulated windscreen that cuts wind noise.
This version Camry Hybrid will arrive in showrooms in February 2010 and will offer two trim levels starting from the Altise model to the luxury i-Tech model, similar to the Toyota Prius. Prices will start at approximately $33,000 AUD.
Design Quirks and Oddities
- The overall height of the Camry Hybrid is 57.5 inches, which is almost half an inch shorter than the other trims of the Toyota Camry.
- The ground clearance of the Camry varies by model as well:
- The Fuel Tank of the Camry Hybrid is 17.2 gallons, whereas the fuel tank of the other Camry trims is 18.3 gallons.
2010 Drive Car Of The Year - Green Inovation Award