|Power|| @ N/A rpm|
lb-ft of torque @ N/A rpm
@ N/A rpm
lb-ft of torque @ N/A rpm
|Designer||Designer (lead designer if it was a team effort)|
The Chevrolet Equinox is a mid-size crossover SUV from Chevrolet, introduced in 2004 for the 2005 model year. It replaces the Chevrolet Tracker in the United States and Canada, while in Mexico it replaces the Blazer as the Tracker is still sold there. The Equinox slots between the HHR and TrailBlazer, and is the first crossover SUV from the marque. Although its dimensions are mid-sized, GM calls the Equinox a compact SUV. Riding on GM's Theta platform, the unibody Equinox is mechanically similar to the GMC Terrain, Saturn VUE, Pontiac Torrent, and the 2007 Suzuki XL7. However, the Equinox and the Torrent are larger than the Vue, riding on a 112.5 in (2857 mm) wheelbase, 5.9 in (150 mm) longer than the Saturn. It comes standard with a front-wheel drive layout, with optional all-wheel drive. Being a unibody architecture, the Equinox is not designed for serious off-roading like the truck-based Chevrolet Tahoe and Chevrolet TrailBlazer.
The Equinox is produced at the CAMI Automotive GM/Suzuki joint venture plant in Ingersoll, Ontario, Canada. The 3.4 L LNJ V6 engine is made in China (by Shanghai GM), while the Aisin AF33 transmission is made in Japan. Starting with the 2008 model year, the Equinox Sport is fitted with a 3.6 L V6 engine that is made in the U.S. See Wikicars' comprehensive Chevrolet Equinox Review.
- 1 Recent Changes
- 2 Styles and Major Options
- 3 Pricing
- 4 Gas Mileage
- 5 Engine and Transmission
- 6 Performance
- 7 Reliability
- 8 Safety
- 9 Photos
- 10 Colors
- 11 Main Competitors
- 12 Hybrid Models
- 13 Unique Attributes
- 14 Interior
- 15 Resale Values
- 16 Criticisms
- 17 Generations
- 18 Current Generation: (2010–present)
- 19 First Generation/Origins: (2005–2009)
- 20 Worldwide
- 21 Design quirks and oddities
- 22 Awards
- 23 See also
- 24 External links
- For the 2009 Detroit Auto Show, Chevrolet unveiled the second generation 2010 Chevrolet Equinox CUV. The new car, as expected, is slightly larger than the outgoing model and will feature direct injecting for the first time to help make them more fuel efficient. There are two engine options: a 2.4 litre Ecotec DI four pot mated to a 6-speed Auto producing 182 hp and 174 lb-ft of torque and returning 21 mpg city and 30 mpg highway. This base engine is a marked improvement over the old 3.4 litre base variant which produced nearly the same power and returned 17/24 mpg. That said, the downside is the significant reduction of torque rating so towing capacity drops from 3,500 lbs to just 1,500 lbs. The second engine in the lineup is range-topping 3.0 litre DI V6 which can tow 3500 lbs. The six banger churns out 255 hp and 214 lb-ft of torque which is a bit lower (but not by much) than the 264/250 from the old 3.6 litre V6 but shaving off 0.6 litre of wasteful displacement. Inside, the new car also show noticeable improvement over the its predecessor with better fit and finish, use of higher quality materials and attractive and modern styling. The new Equinox is expected to go on sale sometime in Spring 2009. Pricing is yet to be announced.
Styles and Major Options
The 2007 Equinox comes available in two trims, the LS and LT. Both share the same 3.4L 185hp V6 engine and 5-speed automatic transmission. Both trims are also available in either standard front wheel drive or automatic full-time all wheel drive. A list of the standard safety options can be found in the Safety section below. Here are some of the standout features on each trim:
- 16" silver alloy wheels
- 6-way driver (4-way passenger) front bucket seats
- Cloth seating and door trim
- Manual front air conditioning
- 6-speaker AM/FM/CD audio system
- Retained accessory power
- Exterior temperature monitor, systems monitor, trip computer
- Power windows, locks, mirrors.
Adds to or replaces LS features with:
- Center rear armrests
- Premium cloth seating and cloth door trim
- Carpeted front/rear floormats
- Front reading lights
- Cargo net
- Radio steering wheel controls
- Leather steering wheel
Add more fields as necessary.
Add more fields as necessary.
As seen on the FuelEconomy.gov website, the City/Highway MPG averages are as follows:
Engine and Transmission
Specifications, details, graphs, pictures and other information regarding the powertrain is placed in this section.
Please make sure to write information of the vehicle's performance in a third-person point of view. This section should include information about the car's acceleration figures, handling, braking, etc.
If using information gathered from Road Test articles from a reputable automotive source, then please make sure to cite the quote.
Because the Equinox is a new model which was recently introduced in 2005, accurate long-term reliability data is not yet available for it.
- RECALL ALERT: On Dec 28th 2009, GM announced a recall affecting 59031 MY 2010 Chevrolet Equinox and GMC Terrains due to an unspecified fault in the HVAC's software programming that can render the heating, air conditioning, defroster, radio control, and panel backlighting inoperative. Without proper defrosting and defogging capabilities, visibility can be diminished, increasing the possibility of a crash. The recall is filed under NHTSA campaign ID 09V489000 and the recall will officially begin in January.
In safety tests carried out by the NHTSA, the Equinox earned high marks all around. For both front wheel drive and all wheel drive tests for rollover, it received 4-Star ratings. More impressively, the Equinox received 5-Star ratings for all other tests performed, including all front- and side-impact crash tests. Some of the standard safety equipment found on the Equinox includes:
- ABS and driveline traction control
- Electronic stability control
- Four wheel anti-lock brakes
- Driver/Passenger front-impact airbags
- Side impact bars
- Front seat belt pretensioners
- PASSlock II ignition disable system
Available colors will vary by trim, and a full list is viewable at CarsDirect.com. Some of the possible combinatins include:
- Bermuda Green Metallic
- Granite Gray Metallic
- Sandstone Metallic
- Silverstone Metallic
- Summit White
- Dark Gray
- Light Cashmere
- Light Gray
There are currently no hybrid models of the Equinox in production.
Equinox Fuel Cell
The Chevrolet Equinox Fuel cell vehicle uses hydrogen for fuel and its only emission is water. The Equinox Fuel Cell will use the same fourth-generation hydrogen technology found in the Chevrolet Sequel concept, which was unveiled earlier in September. The Equinox Fuel Cell is designed for only 50,000 miles (80,000 km) of driving, but is engineered to be operable in subfreezing temperatures throughout its life. GM states that the Equinox Fuel Cell is about 500 pounds heavier than the original Equinox and has one inch less ground clearance. To reduce weight, the Equinox Fuel Cell has aluminum doors and a carbon fiber hood. As a fun fact, the Equinox fuel cell has Pontiac Torrent headlights.
The Equinox Fuel Cell will come with a range of safety features, including ABS, traction control, and GM's OnStar telematics service, which will offer drivers advice on operating the cars as well as information on nearby hydrogen filling stations. The car is expected to meet all 2007 federal safety standards. The Equinox Fuel Cell will have a screen on the dashboard which lets the driver know how much gas they have saved relative to the same mileage of a gasoline-powered Equinox. The instrument panel will also feature a kilowatt meter and a fuel cell energy display. The fuel cell has four vapor outlets which replace the exhaust pipe. Three carbon-fiber fuel tanks storing up to a maximum of 9.25 pounds (4.2 kg) of gaseous hydrogen at 10,000 psi (70 MPa) will give the Equinox a range of 200 miles (320 km). The Equinox Fuel Cell is certified by the EPA as a zero-emission vehicle (ZEV). GM will build more than 100 Chevrolet Equinox Fuel Cell vehicles and will begin deploying these test fleet vehicles in the fall of 2007 as part of a comprehensive plan dubbed “Project Driveway."
This section should include information on the interior's design, build quality, ergonomics, space (head and legroom, front and rear), features, stowage compartments and overall comfortability and livability. Add pictures wherever applicable and keep information in a third-person point of view.
According to Kelley Blue Book, "as for resale, Kelley Blue Book projects the Equinox to retain an average resale value, on par with the Ford Escape and Mitsubishi Outlander, but well below the Honda CR-V, Toyota RAV4 and Subaru Forester."
Add more fields as necessary.
|Year X||Year X-2||Year X-3||Year X-4|
- "If you're enthusiastic about the driving experience, the lack of a manual shifter and the numb electric power steering may not appeal to you. And the Equinox's well laid-out interior begs for more in the way of color and contrast." - Kelley Blue Book
Fill in as many as appropriate. Add more if necessary and pictures wherever applicable.
Please make sure NOT to use copyrighted pictures.
Current Generation: (2010–present)
The Equinox is expected to be redesigned for the 2010 model year, arriving in dealerships in May 2009. It will get a new 2.4-liter, direct-injection 4-cylinder engine, with better fuel economy promised by GM <ref>GM confirms new products - AutoWeek Magazine</ref>. The rebadged Pontiac Torrent, on the other hand, will be dropped for 2010, replaced by the GMC Terrain (currently not sold in the US) which will share the same platform, but will receive unique sheet metal (a redesign from the current model) and features not found on the Equinox http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2010-chevrolet-equinox/1231613.
First Generation/Origins: (2005–2009)
For 2007, the Equinox received several updates, both inside and out. The interior dashboard has been redesigned with a new instrument panel and driver information panel, among other things. The exterior offers new wheel and color options, as well as revised front and rear fascias. Lastly, safety features such as traction control and electronic stability control have been made standard.
The 3.4 L LNJ V6 engine is made in China.
Design quirks and oddities
News and References
- Chevrolet To Launch World's Largest Fuel Cell Vehicle Fleet
- GM Canada Partnership Key as Chevrolet Prepares to Launch the World's Largest Fuel Cell Vehicle Fleet
- GM's Chevrolet Equinox Fuel Cell - CNET News
- GM Advanced Technology - Chevrolet to Launch World's Largest Fuel Cell Vehicle Fleet
- A Revolutionary Step Toward Sustainable Transportation Solutions - Chevrolet Equinox Fuel Cell
- Challenge X - Crossover to Sustainable Mobility re-engineering challenge of a GM Equinox
- 2010 Chevy Equinox: A New Look For Detroit
- Detroit Preview: 2010 Chevrolet Equinox debuts with direct injection
- GM reveals 2010 Chevrolet Equinox
- GM recalling 59,000 2010 Chevy Equinox, GMC Terrain CUVs over faulty defrosters
Enthusiast Sites and Discussion Forums
- Chevrolet Equinox Club - Forums, support, photos and more
- Chevrolet Equinox Forum, News and Photos
- Chevrolet Equinox Forums
- GMTruckClub.com - GMTruckClub.com - Chevrolet Truck Forum
- Chevy Equinox Forum, Specs, News and Photos