Search By Model
(insert logo here)
Originating as a sewing machine and cycle company Swift made their first single cylinder car in 1900 using an MMC engine. It had an unusual transmission system involving an unsprung two ratio reart axle. This proved unreliable and was replaced by a more conventional layout in 1903.
The first Swift engined car was the twin cylinder 7, later 10, horse power of 1904. This was shortly afterwards joined by the four cylinder 12/14 which continued in a bewildering number of guises until the first world war.
A larger car, the 15, with 3 litre engine was added to the range in 1913 and this continued to just post war.
After WW1 the Cycle Car company was merged with the main company as Swift of Coventry. The range was simplified with the excellent 1100 cc 10 continuing and joined by a 2 litre 12 with a 4 speed gearbox. A new 10 was launched in 1923 as the Q type with coil ignition, electric starting, optional front wheel brakes and a top speed of 55mph. Standard front wheel brakes were added in 1926 and the engine was bored out to 1190 cc to become the P type. the engine grew again to 1307 cc in 1929 when the car became the P2.
The 12 was replaced by the 12/35 in 1925 with front wheel brakes, plate clutch and two feet extra in the wheelbase.
The final Swift car was the 1930 Cadet which was an attempt to compete with the £100 cars. This had an 850 cc Coventry Climax engine and a price of £149 for the tourer and £165 for the saloon but Swift was too small to compete with the like of Ford and Morris and closed in 1931.