Bentley Continental Flying Spur (2005)
Wikicars, a place to share your automotive knowledge
- See also Bentley Continental Flying Spur for other models using this name
|Bentley Continental Flying Spur (2005)|
|aka||Bentley Continental GT|
|Production||2005 - present|
|Body Style||4-door, 4/5-seat Sedan|
|Width||83.39 in (w/ mirrors)|
|Height|| 58.1 in |
57.7in (Flying Spur Speed)
|Transmission||ZF 6-speed Automatic, AWD|
|Engine||6.0 litre (5998cc) twin-turbocharged W12 engine|
|Power|| 552 hp @ 6100 rpm |
479 lb-ft. of torque @ 1600 rpm
600 hp @ 6000 rpm
553 lb-ft. of torque @ 1750 rpm
|Similar|| Maserati Quattroporte|
BMW 7 Series
Lexus LS 600hL
Aston Martin Rapide
|Designer||Dirk van Braeckel|
The Bentley Continental Flying Spur is a four-door version of the Bentley Continental GT produced from 2005. The new Flying Spur is being billed by Bentley as its fastest four-door model ever, and a capable grand tourer, though motoring journalists in the UK have taken exception to its bland, unadventurous styling and German underpinnings.
It is equipped with a 6 L, twin-turbocharged 12-cylinder engine producing 552 hp, with a top speed of 195 mph or 313 km/h. Four-wheel drive is standard. As with the Continental GT, the Flying Spur is built on the same platform as the Volkswagen Phaeton, up until 2005 in Crewe and since then in the Transparent Factory in Dresden (Germany).
It was designed by the same team that produced the Continental GT. Sales for the new model commenced in spring 2005.
See Wikicars' comprehensive <MODEL> Review.
- Beginning the 2012 model year, Bentley will start offering the Series 51 design options package - all 14 of them and first seen on the Continental GT and GTC - on the Flying Spur and Flying Spur Speed. These range from duo-tone exterior paint options to new interior color and trim combinations. Also, all Continental Flying Spur and Supersports models are specified as standard with a "state-of-the-art" 30GB touchscreen infotainment system. Other niceties included in all Series 51s are unique nine-spoke Graphite finish 19-inch alloys, Series 51 wing badges behind the front wheel arches, customer-specified blue brake calipers and black or chrome wing vents. For the interior, Bentley's styling team operates on a "rule of three" principle; meaning that color and trim specialists begin with a main color, typically a darker shade, and then select a second, insert color. This is to provide an eye-catching contrast. Third is the accent color, which goes on the stitching and piping. Series 51 interiors are made even more exclusive by specially chosen wood veneers and aluminum panels. However, if a customer is not satisfied with any of the 14 available options, Bentley will be more than happy to craft a bespoke one. 
- For 2011, Bentley launched another limited edition variation of the Flying Spur and Flying Spur Speed aimed only at the Middle Eastern market. The car is called Arabia and only 50 will be produced. To distinguish it from standard models, these two special editions feature special Arabia badges on their fenders, door sills and ash-tray lid. The non-Speed Flying Spur also gets a new unique 14-spoke wheel design while the higher performance Speed model (above) gets 20-inch, ten-spoke wheels. Both are also available with a striking matte black paint finish. 
- At the 2010 Beijing Motor Show, Bentley launched a China market only limited edition model called Continental Flying Spur Speed China. 
- For 2009, Bentley follows the Flying Spur in the footsteps of the GT and adds a Speed variant. The Continental Flying Spur Speed will come with the same 6.0 litre W12 as before but will now pump a very, very massive 600bhp and 553 pound-feet like the GT Speed. But besides the obvious, the new Flying Spur Speed will also host a raft of changes including a more upright dark-tinted chrome matrix grille, larger lower air intakes, a new rear bumper, more sound deadening material, a new Naim for Bentley premium audio system, Adaptive Cruise Control, 10 mm lower ride height, new 20-inch multispoke wheels with available carbon ceramic disc brakes, returned steering and suspension systems, wider exhaust pipes, sill plates emblazoned with the word "Speed" on all four doors and a three-spoke steering wheel + unique interior trim. 
- For 2009, Bentley updates the regular Flying Spur variant with revised front and rear fascia reminiscent of the Flying Spur Speed and refined and improved interior accomodations. However, underhood, everything remains the same.
Styles and Major Options
Certain vehicles come in different trim levels or body styles. Features and major options should be mentioned here.
Add more fields as necessary.
Add more fields as necessary.
As seen on the FuelEconomy.gov website, the City/Highway MPG averages are as follows:
Engine and Transmission
Specifications, details, graphs, pictures and other information regarding the powertrain is placed in this section.
Please make sure to write information of the vehicle's performance in a third-person point of view. This section should include information about the car's acceleration figures, handling, braking, etc.
If using information gathered from Road Test articles from a reputable automotive source, then please make sure to cite the quote.
- RECALL ALERT: On March 7, 2008, Bentley announced a recall affecting 4 MY 2004 - 2006 Continental GTs & Continental Flying Spurs due to the passenger airbag replacement trimmed covers have been manufactured with tethers of an incorrect length. In the event of a crash, this could result in damage to the airbag itself during deployment increasing the risk of injuries. Bentley dealers will replace the passenger's airbag cover free of charge. 
This section should reference points on safety ratings and features of the vehicle.
Add Photos of the vehicle here.
Please make sure not to use copyrighted photos.
List the colors that the particular <MODEL> is offered in.
Create links to other <MAKE> <MODEL> pages in this section.
If there are hybrid versions of this vehicle manufactured, then please elaborate a little bit on it here.
This section should include information on the interior's design, build quality, ergonomics, space (head and legroom, front and rear), features, stowage compartments and overall comfortability and livability. Add pictures wherever applicable and keep information in a third-person point of view.
Add more fields as necessary.
|Year X||Year X-2||Year X-3||Year X-4|
Please make sure to keep critiques in a third-person point of view. If using criticisms from a reputable automotive source, then please make sure to cite the quote.
Fill in as many as appropriate. Add more if necessary and pictures wherever applicable.
Please make sure NOT to use copyrighted pictures.
Current Generation: (YYYY–present)
Fifth generation (YYYY–YYYY)
Fourth generation (YYYY–YYYY)
Third generation (YYYY–YYYY)
Second generation (YYYY–YYYY)
First Generation/Origins (YYYY–YYYY)
If the vehicle is sold in other markets worldwide, then this is the section to mention that information. Also, mention if the <MODEL> goes by another name in these other markets.
Design quirks and oddities
Refer to any pop-culture tidbits about the vehicle in this section.
List out notable awards that the model has recieved while in production. Boldface the company or organization that gives out the award, and Italicize the name of the award.
Specials/One Offs: State Limousine · Dominator · Buccaneer · Val D'Iser · B2 · B3 · Silverstone · Camelot · Phoenix · Imperial · Rapier · Spectre · Grand Prix · Monte Carlo · Pegasus · Sports EST · Mark VI by Pininfarina · Empress II by Hooper · Java Estate · R-Type Continental Abbott Coupe · Touring Flying Star
Racing Vehicles: Speed 8
|W.O. Bentley||Corporate website||A subsidiary of the Volkswagen Group|
- Official Bentley Motors Homepage
- Bentley Continental Flying Spur Facelift Revealed
- Bentley updates Continental Flying Spur and adds new Speed model
- 2009 Bentley Continental Flying Spur: Facelift Model Gets 600Hp Speed Version
- Continentals for the Mainland: Special edition Bentleys previewed for Beijing show
- Bentley launches two Middle East-only editions of Flying Spur
- How Very Continental: Bentley launches Flying Spur Series 51
- New Bespoke Bentley Continental Flying Spur and Speed Series 51 Models