Search By Model
(insert logo here)
The AV was a British cyclecar manufactured by Ward and Avey in Somerset Road, Teddington Middlesex between 1919 and 1924.
It was one of the more successful cyclecars and was based on a design bought from Carden and built in the factory that they had previously used. At the peak they had 80 employees.
The first model was a single seater, the Monocar, only 30 inches wide with bodies built by the Thames Valley Pattern Works out of wood, plywood or even compressed paper. The complete car only weighed about 550 pounds. Engines were rear mounted, air cooled and rated from 5 to 8 hp. There was a choice of JAP (most commonly), Blackburne or rarely MAG units. Gearboxes were either a two speed epicyclic unit with foot operated change or three speed Sturmey-Archer with chain drive to the rear axle. Steering was by a wire and bobbin system with the entire front axle being pivoted on early cars. Several hundred were made.
In 1920 a two seater, the Bi-car, was added with the passenger behind the driver. The width of the car increased to 36 inches. About 50 were made. A more conventional side by side model was added in 1921 called the Runabout with a 42 inch body 126 inches long. The original Monocar and Bi-car were dropped in 1922 but production of the Runabout continued until 1924 and later to special order.