|Lexus GS 450h|
|Body Style||4-Door Sedan|
|Engine||3.5L hybrid V6|
Hybrids can be designed for fuel economy like the Toyota Prius, or for increased power like the Honda Accord Hybrid. The Lexus GS 450h, which uses a 3.5-liter V6 engine and a high-output electric motor driving the rear wheels to place the horsepower at the level of a V8 engine, falls squarely into the latter category. It is the fastest model of the Lexus GS series.
With just 2,000 units available, even at the $54,900 base price Lexus will easily sell every GS 450h unit.
See WikiCars' comprehensive Lexus GS 450h Review.
Styles and Major Options
- 3.5-liter V6 gas engine coupled with a high-output electric-drive motor, producing 340 total net HP
- Electronically controlled Continuously Variable Transmission (ECVT)
- Vehicle Dynamics Integrated Management (VDIM) advanced stability management
- Traction control
- Regenerative braking to capture energy and recharge the battery
- Lexus voice-activated DVD Navigation System - $1,900
- Mark Levinson® 14-speaker 330-watt premium surround sound audio system - $1,780
- Lexus Pre-Collision System (PCS) and dynamic radar cruise control - $2,850
- Active Stabilizer Suspension System (requires run flat tires) - $3,400
- Rear Spoiler - $200
- All-season run-flat tires - $400
- Summer run-flat tires - $480
- 18-inch G-Spider alloy wheels
- All-weather floor mats
- Car cover
- Cargo net
- Trunk mat
- Wheel locks
- XM® Satellite radio capability
The U.S. Federal Income Tax Credit is $1,550 for models purchased prior to December 31, 2010.
According to the 2007 Consumer Reports new car issue, the Lexus GS has an average rating in predicted reliability based on the first year models; no specific data about the GS 450h is provided.
- Driver and front passenger airbags including front, side, side curtain and knee
- Rear side curtain airbags
- Electronic Traction Control
- Vehicle Dynamics Integrated Management (VDIM) electronic stability control
- Anti-Lock Brakes (ABS)
- Braking Assist
- Electronic Controlled Braking (ECB) and Electronic Brakeforce Distribution (EBD)
- Tire pressure monitor system
- Highly rigid body structure
- Side impact door beams
- Front and rear crumple zones
- 3-point seatbelt with Emergency Locking Retractor (ELR) for driver
- 3-point seatbelts with Automatic Locking Retractor/Emergency Locking Retractor (ALR/ELR) for all passengers
- Child Restraint Seat (CRS) tether anchor brackets
- Child safety locks and window lock button on driver door control
- Full-color display backup camera
- Intuitive electronic park assist
- Theft-deterrent and engine immobilizer system
- High-Intensity Discharge (HID) headlamps with Adaptive Front Lighting System (AFS)
- Headlamp washers
- Daytime running lights
- Integrated foglamps
- Rain-sensing variable intermittent windshield wipers
- Pre-Collision System (PCS) radar
- Lexus claims a total 339 HP or 253 kW of output power pushing the GS 450h from 0-60 in 5.2 seconds, which is good enough to earn it the title of fastest Hybrid car available for sale.
- A Neiman Marcus limited-edition GS 450h was included in the 2005 Holiday Catalogue. Only 75 of the special cars were produced in a Crystalline Ice exterior color with Neiman Marcus logo clad interior accents and apparently sold out in 3 hours.
Due to the limited production and immediate interest there will likely be little to no resale information for some time.
The GS 450h is sold in North America and Europe.
Design Quirks and Oddities
In contrast with the gasoline-powered GS sedans, the GS 450h features 'hybrid' signifiers on the rear doors, and different wheels. A voltmeter is used on the instrument panel.
- The GS 450h's Lexus Hybrid Drive system was the recipient of the annual Paul Pietsch Prize for Advanced Technology in 2007, awarded by technical editors of Auto Motor Und Sport publications.
- German automotive magazine Auto Bild selected the GS 450h for its "Auto 1" award for best sedan in 2007.
Hybrid: RX 400h
|Toyota||Corporate website||A division of the Toyota Motor Corporation|
|Lexus, a marque of Toyota, road car timeline, 1989-present|
|Compact||IS 200/300||IS 250/350|
|Mid-size||ES 250||ES 300||ES 300||ES 300/330||ES 350|
|GS 300||GS 300/400/430||GS 300/430/450h|
|Full-size||LS 400||LS 400||LS 430||LS 460/600h|
|Crossover||RX 300||RX 330/350/400h|
|LX 450||LX 470||JX 470|
|Sports||SC 300/400||SC 430|