Lexus GS 450h
Hybrids have a stigma of being slow, strange and more expensive than conventional cars, right? Not anymore says Lexus with the GS 450h which will use a 3.5-liter V6 engine and a high-output electric motor driving the rear wheels to place the horsepower at the level of a V8 engine.
With just 2,000 units available, even at the $54,900 base price Lexus will easily sell every GS 450h unit. The company will follow the new sedan with an LS 600h model using the same rear-drive hybrid technology bolted to the new 380-horsepower V-8 to deliver V-12 performance.
See WikiCars' comprehensive Lexus GS 450h Review.
Styles and Major Options
- 3.5-liter V6 gas engine coupled with a high-output electric-drive motor, producing 340 total net HP
- Electronically controlled Continuously Variable Transmission (ECVT)
- Vehicle Dynamics Integrated Management (VDIM) advanced stability management
- Traction control
- Regenerative braking to capture energy and recharge the battery
- Lexus voice-activated DVD Navigation System - $1,900
- Mark Levinson® 14-speaker 330-watt premium surround sound audio system - $1,780
- Lexus Pre-Collision System (PCS) and dynamic radar cruise control - $2,850
- Active Stabilizer Suspension System (requires run flat tires) - $3,400
- Rear Spoiler - $200
- All-season run-flat tires - $400
- Summer run-flat tires - $480
- 18-inch G-Spider alloy wheels
- All-weather floor mats
- Car cover
- Cargo net
- Trunk mat
- Wheel locks
- XM® Satellite radio capability
The U.S. Federal Income Tax Credit is $1,550 for models purchased prior to December 31, 2010.
- Driver and front passenger airbags including front, side, side curtain and knee.
- Rear side curtain airbags.
- Electronic Traction Control.
- Vehicle Dynamics Integrated Management (VDIM) electronic stability control.
- Anti-Lock Brakes (ABS).
- Braking Assist.
- Electronic Controlled Braking (ECB) and Electronic Brakeforce Distribution (EBD).
- Tire pressure monitor system.
- Highly rigid body structure.
- Side impact door beams.
- Front and rear crumple zones.
- 3-point seatbelt with Emergency Locking Retractor (ELR) for driver.
- 3-point seatbelts with Automatic Locking Retractor/Emergency Locking Retractor (ALR/ELR) for all passengers.
- Child Restraint Seat (CRS) tether anchor brackets.
- Child safety locks and window lock button on driver door control.
- Full-color display backup camera.
- Intuitive electronic park assist.
- Theft-deterrent and engine immobilizer system.
- High-Intensity Discharge (HID) headlamps with Adaptive Front Lighting System (AFS).
- Headlamp washers.
- Daytime running lights.
- Integrated foglamps.
- Rain-sensing variable intermittent windshield wipers.
- Pre-Collision System (PCS) radar
- The Lexus GS 450h is more an attempt to raise the bar of hybrid vehicles on the marketplace then a conscientious choice. Plans are in place to have hybrid solutions throughout the Lexus lineup and will be marketed as the premium vehicle trim.
- Lexus claims a total 339 HP or 253 kW of output power pushing the GS 450h from 0-60 in 5.2 seconds.
- A Neiman Marcus limited-edition GS 450h was included in the 2005 Holiday Catalogue. Only 75 of the special cars were produced in a Crystalline Ice exterior color with Neiman Marcus logo clad interior accents and apparently sold out in 3 hours.
Due to the limited production and immediate interest there will likely be little to no resale information for some time.