The Hummer H3 is a vehicle from General Motors' Hummer division, introduced in 2005. The H3 is the smallest of the three Hummer models, and though the H3 concept car was a pickup truck, the final vehicle is a conventional SUV. Its "GMT345" platform is based on the "GMT355" which underpins the Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon pickup trucks. It was designed by GM designer Carl Zipfel.
In the American market, the H3 is priced from $29,500 to just under $40,000. Sales have been strong, with the 33,140 sold in 2005 making up 58% of Hummer's total sales for the year. For the first two months of 2006, 8,071 H3s were sold, 74% of all Hummer sales.
The 2006 Hummer H3 is an all-new, mid-sized, five-passenger sport utility vehicle that carries the military-inspired design cues and amazing off-road capabilities of the Hummer H1 and H2, but puts them in a smaller, more affordable package. The H3 provides the level of equipment that luxury-vehicle buyers expect, even though this Hummer's base price is less than $30,000.
In an era of high gasoline prices, the appeal of the Hummer H3 is increased by its fuel economy ratings. While its larger siblings average only 10 or 12 miles per gallon, the H3 is rated at 20 miles per gallon on the highway with its standard five-speed manual transmission or 19 mpg when equipped with an optional four-speed automatic. Both transmissions are rated at 16 mpg in city driving.
On May 24 2010, the very last H3 rolled off the production line out of GM's Shreveport, Louisiana factory as part of rental car company Avis' 849 unit special order. After the attempted sale of the Hummer brand to China's Sichuan Tengzhong Heavy Industrial Machines Co., Ltd fell apart in February 2010, the brand has been shut down along with all its models and factories.
See Wikicars' comprehensive Hummer H3 Review.
- 1 Recent Changes
- 2 Styles and Major Options
- 3 Pricing
- 4 Gas Mileage
- 5 Reliability
- 6 Safety
- 7 Photos
- 8 Colors
- 9 Main Competitors
- 10 Hybrid Models
- 11 Unique Attributes
- 12 Criticisms
- 13 Generations
- 14 Worldwide
- 15 Design quirks and oddities
- 16 Awards
- 17 See also
- 18 External links
The 5.3L Vortec 5300 V8 is expected to be added to the model for the 2007 model year, with a diesel added later.
- At the 2008 Bologna Motor Show, Hummer unveiled the Europe-only, 50-unit limited edition H3 Black Edition. Based on the Adventure edition, it comes with 5,000 Euro worth of extras including the full-black livery and a fully integrated Kenwood Hummer Navigation system. The interior is all black as well with black leather and matte black switches. A sliding sunroof will appear on half of the cars. 
- Following Truck Trend's disregard for the embargo on the Hummer H3T pickup truck bound for unveiling at the 2008 Chicago Motor Show by publishing pictures of the images in late January 2008, Hummer decided to release the official press pics and preliminary information on the internet. Essentially the same vehicle as the H3 SUV, the most obvious difference between the two is the H3T's supersized wheelbase, up by 22 in (not to mention the lack of a roof toward the rear of the vehicle). The H3T will slot between the Canyon/Colorado and Silverado/Sierra marketwise while power comes from the regular H3's 3.7L 5-cylinder and 5.3L V8. 
The H3 uses the 3.5L (3464cc) Atlas straight-5 engine. The same engine that is used in the Chevrolet Colorado/GMC Canyon pickup trucks. This 20-valve DOHC unit produces 220-hp (164kW) at 5600rpm and 225ft·lbs (305N·m) at 2800rpm. It is available with a 5-speed manual or 4-speed automatic transmission. Its 111.9-inch wheelbase is 1.1-inches shorter than the GMT360 SUVs. It includes an electronically-controlled dual-speed transfer case and electronic locking differential.
Since it is rated at less than 8500 lbs. (GVWR), Hummer is required to provide official fuel economy ratings. It is rated at 16 MPG in the city cycle with both transmissions and 19 MPG with the automatic or 20 MPG with the manual on the highway. While the Hummer H2 will ford 20-inches of water, the H3 will handle 24-inches of water. The H3 is the only vehicle in its class to have a 2-speed transfer case standard.
Styles and Major Options
For off-road enthusiasts, Hummer's put together the Adventure Package:
- Off-Road Suspension Package
- Fully locking rear differential
- 4.03:1 2-speed transfer case
- 33-inch LT285/75R16C
- Front and rear carpeted floor mats
For those interested in a few more creature comforts Hummer's put together the Luxury Package:
- Leather trimmed front and rear seats
- Heated front seats with 8-way power adjustment
- Leather-wrapped steering wheel
- Front and rear carpeted floor mats
- In-Dash 6-Disc CD changer with AM/FM stereo and premium 7-speaker Monsoon sound system
For those who want the best of both worlds, Hummer's put together the Off-Road Suspension Package and Luxury Package:
- Combined for the ultimate on and off-roading experience
2006 Hummer H3 Pricing
2007 Hummer H3 Pricing
As seen on the FuelEconomy.gov website, the City/Highway MPG averages are as follows:
5-Syl. 3.5L, Manual
5-Syl. 3.5L, Automatic
The Hummer H3 has numerous features that help you before, during and after impact.
Tire Pressure Monitoring System(TPM): This system constantly monitors pressure in all 4 tires and if all or one falls below the optimum level, an indicator light on the instrument panel illuminates.
LATCH (Lower Anchors And Tethers For Children)
- Birch White
- Boulder Grey Metallic
- Shadow Green Metallic
- Superior Blue Metallic
- Victory Red
- Slate Blue Metallic
No plans to "hybridize" this "gas-guzzling road-mongrel"...yet, however it's going on Biodiesel engine in a few years.
The Hummer H3 is known as the baby Hummer,as the body is not as wide as the other Hummer and a ground clearance that is not really tall for a Hummer.
- Some critics have argued that 220-hp is not enough for a mid-size SUV.Some Hummer owners also got this car stuck in certain obstacles.
- Australian car reviewer Drive rated the Hummer H3 only one star for its used car review. The H3 has been criticised its lack of power, limited vision, difficulty of parking, practicality and quality.
First Generation/Origins (2006-2010)
The H3 draws its power from a 3.5L, inline five-cylinder engine that generates 220-horsepower, which we found a sufficient output to accelerate this vehicle smartly up to freeway speeds.
The H3 delivers serious off-road capability. But it also offers comfortable and quiet performance on the highway and is as capable at squeezing into tight parking spaces as it is picking its way over boulders on "The Rubicon Trail". It's an impressive balance. And the pricing is compelling. Many H3 buyers will want the "Luxury Package" with its leather seats and upgraded audio system, the automatic transmission and electronic stability control technology. Even with side curtain airbags and satellite radio you're looking at a vehicle that retails for less than $35,000.
Design quirks and oddities
The H3 has an extremely upright windshield and side windows that more closely resemble those in a turret than a typical family wagon, as well as the very short front and rear overhangs and increased ground clearance that are vital for negotiating the sort of extreme off-pavement environments Hummers have to be able to survive.
The Hummer H3 has not been on the road long enough to accumulate accolades and awards.
- The HUMMER Network - Hummer Enthusiasts Site and forum
- RoadTests.com - Hummer H3 Reviews, specs, and pictures.
- Hummer News and Opinion Hummer News and Opinion from and experienced off-road instructor
- Hummer Off-Road Parts
- 2009 Hummer H3T revealed ahead of Chicago debut
- 2009 Hummer H3T Pick-Up: Official High-Res Images
- Hummer H3T Pick-Up Truck gallery
- Hummer H3T Video
- Hummer H3T Pricing Announced
- Hummer H3 to get E85 Capable Engines and 4-Cylinder Diesel in 2009
- Turn Out the Lights: Final Hummer H3 rolls off the line... for Avis