Standard Motor Company
Search By Model
(insert logo here)
The Standard Motor Company was founded in Coventry, England in 1903 by Reginald Walter Maudslay (1871-1934). The Standard name was last used in Britain in 1963, and in India in 1987.
The company was set up in a small factory in Much Park Street, Coventry and employed seven people to assemble the first car, powered by a single cylinder engine with three speed gearbox and shaft drive to the rear wheels. This was soon replaced by a two cylinder model quickly followed by three and four cylinder versions and in 1905 the first six. As well as supplying complete chassis, the company found a good market in selling engines for fitting to other cars, especially where the owner was looking for more power. The company took a stand at the 1905 London Motor Show in Crystal Palace where a London Dealer, Charles (later Sir Charles) Friswell agreed to take the entire factory output. In 1907 Friswell became Chairman of the company and worked hard raising its profile culminating in supplying 70 cars for King George V and his entourage at the 1911 Delhi Royal Durbah. Friswell sold his interest in Standard in 1912 to C.J. Band and Siegried Bettmann the founder of the Triumph Motor Cycle Company which later became the Triumph Motor Company. In 1914 Standard became a public company.
First World War
During World War I, the company produced over 1000 aircraft including the Royal Aircraft Factory BE12, Royal Aircraft Factory R.E.8, Sopwith Pup and Bristol F.2-B in a new works at Canley opened in 1916 which would become the main centre of operations in future.
Civilian car production restarted in 1919 with a range of small cars and by 1924 the company had a share of the market comparable to Austin, making over 10,000 cars in 1924, but by the late 1920s profits had fallen dramatically due to heavy reinvestment, a failed export contract and poor sales of the larger cars. In 1929 Captain John Black joined the board from Hillman as joint Managing Director and one thing he encouraged was the supply of chassis to external coachbuilders such as Jensen, Avon and Swallow (which would become Jaguar). Reginald Maudslay left the company in 1934, and died shortly afterwards at the age of 64.
In the 1930s, fortunes improved with new models, the Standard Nine and Standard Ten which addressed the low to mid range market and at the Motor Show of 1935 the new range of Flying Standards was announced with semi streamlined bodies.
World War II
During World War II, the company continued to produce its cars but now mainly fitted with utility bodies. However, the most famous war time product was the Mosquito aircraft, mainly the FB VI version of which over 1100 were made. 750 Airspeed Oxfords were also made as well as 20,000 Bristol Mercury VIII engines, and 3000 Bristol Beaufighter fuselages.
Other wartime products included 4000 Beaverette light armoured cars and a lightweight "Jeep" type vehicle.
The Post War years
With peace the pre-war Eight and Twelve cars were quickly back in production. Of greater significance was, in 1945, the purchase arranged by Sir John Black of the Triumph Motor Company, which was in receivership, for £75,000. Triumph was reformed as a wholly owned subsidiary of Standard called "Triumph Motor Company (1945) Limited". Also, a lucrative deal was arranged to build the small Ferguson tractor which helped fill some of the large war time factory space.
A one-model policy was adopted in 1948 with the Vanguard, styled on American lines by Walter Belgrove, which lasted until 1953 when the new Eight small car was added. Overseas assembly plants were also opened in Australia, Canada, India and South Africa. Sir John Black stepped down from control of the company in 1954. Ill health was cited as the 'official' reason for his resignation but it is now known the Board of Directors requested he should leave. His deputy and long-time personal assistant, Alick Dick, took over. The company started looking for partners to enable continued expansion and talks were held with Chrysler, Massey-Harris-Ferguson, Rootes, Rover and Renault but these came to nothing.
The company was eventually taken over in 1960 by Leyland Motors Ltd who paid £20 million and the last Standard was produced in the UK 1963. Triumphs continued when Leyland became British Leyland Motor Corporation in 1968.
Standard in India
However, the Standard name lasted into the 1980s in India, where they manufactured the Triumph Herald as the Standard Herald, but with additional four-door and five-door estate models.
In 1970, Standard in India split with British Leyland, and introduced a four-door version of the Herald called the Standard Gazel in 1971, using the same 948 cm³ engine. The Gazel was built in small numbers — it has been suggested that it did so to keep its manufacturer's licence — until 1977. Productions of Standards ceased until the Standard 2000 was launched in 1985, based on the Rover SD1. The car was modified — it rode higher and had an old 1991 cm³ Standard Vanguard unit — and was not successful. It ceased production in 1987 and was the last car to bear the Standard name.
British Car Models
Pre World War 1
|1903||6 hp||1006 cc side valve single cylinder|
|1904-1905||12/15||1926 cc side valve 2 cylinder|
|1905||16 hp||3142 cc side valve 4 cylinder|
|1905-1908||18/20||4714 cc side valve 6 cylinder|
|1906||10 hp||631 cc side valve 2 cylinder|
|1906||16/20||3531 cc side valve 4 cylinder|
|1906||24/30||5232 cc side valve 6 cylinder|
|1906-1912||50 hp||11734 cc side valve 6 cylinder|
|1907||15 hp||1593 cc side valve 6 cylinder|
|1907-1908||30 hp||5297 cc side valve 6 cylinder|
|1908-1911||20 hp||4032 cc side valve 6 cylinder|
|1908-1911||40 hp||6167 cc side valve 6 cylinder|
|1909-1911||16 hp||2688 cc side valve 4 cylinder|
|1910-1911||12 hp||1656 cc side valve 4 cylinder|
|1911-1914||20 hp||3620 cc (3336 cc from 1913) side valve 6 cylinder|
|1911-1912||15 hp||2368 cc side valve 4 cylinder|
|1912||25 hp||4032 cc side valve 6 cylinder|
|1913-1918||9.5 hp Model S||1087 cc side valve 4 cylinder|
|1919-1921||9.5 hp Model SLS||1328 cc side valve 4 cylinder|
|1921-1923||8 hp||1087 cc side valve 4 cylinder|
|1921-1923||11.6 hp SLO||1598 cc ohv 4 cylinder|
|1922-1926||13.9 hp SLO-4||1307 cc ohv 4 cylinder|
|1923-1927||11.4 hp V3||1307 cc ohv 4 cylinder|
|1926-1928||13.9 hp V4||1944 cc ohv 4 cylinder|
|1927-1928||18/36 hp||2230 cc ohv 6 cylinder|
|1927-1930||9 hp||1153 or 1287 cc side valve 4 cylinder|
|1929-1933||15 hp||1930 or 2054 cc side valve 6 cylinder|
|1930-1933||9.9 hp Big Nine||1287 cc side valve 4 cylinder|
|1931-1935||20 hp Envoy||2552 cc side valve 6 cylinder|
|1932-1933||Little Nine||1006 cc side valve 4 cylinder|
|1932-1933||Little Twelve||1337 cc side valve 6 cylinder|
|1932-1933||Big Twelve||1497 cc side valve 6 cylinder|
|1934||12/6||1497 cc side valve 6 cylinder|
|1934-1935||10/12 Speed Model||1608 cc side valve 4 cylinder|
|1934-1936||Nine||1052 cc side valve 4 cylinder|
|1934-1936||Ten||1343 cc side valve 4 cylinder|
|1934-1936||Twelve||1608 cc side valve 4 cylinder|
|1934-1936||Sixteen||2143 cc side valve 6 cylinder|
|1935-1936||Twenty||2664 cc side valve 6 cylinder|
|1936-1937||20 hp||2686 cc side valve V8 cylinder|
|1937-1938||Flying Ten||1267 cc side valve 4 cylinder|
|1937-1940||Flying Twelve||1608 cc side valve 4 cylinder|
|19337-1940||Flying Nine||1131 cc side valve 4 cylinder|
|1937-1940||Flying Light Twelve||1343 cc side valve 4 cylinder|
|1937-1940||Flying Fourteen||1608 cc or 1776 cc side valve 4 cylinder|
|1937-1940||Flying Twenty||2143 cc side valve 6 cylinder|
|1938-1940||Flying Eight||1021 cc side valve 4 cylinder|
|1945-1948||Eight||1021 cc side valve four cylinder||383,139|
|1945-1948||Twelve||1608 cc side valve 4 cylinder||9959|
|1945-1948||Fourteen||1776 cc side valve 4 cylinder||22,229|
|1947-1953||Vanguard Phase I||2088 cc ohv 4 cylinder||184,799|
|1953-1955||Vanguard Phase II|| 2088 cc ohv 4 cylinder
2092 cc ohv 4 cylinder diesel
|1953-1957||Eight||803 cc ohv 4 cylinder||136,317|
|1954-1956||Ten||948 cc ohv 4 cylinder||172,500|
|1955-1958||Vanguard Phase III||2088 cc ohv 4 cylinder||37,194|
|1956-1957||Sportsman||2088 cc ohv 4 cylinder||901|
|1957-1961||Ensign|| 1670 cc ohv 4 cylinder
2092 cc ohv 4 cylinder diesel
|1957-1959||Pennant||948 cc ohv 4 cylinder||42,910|
|1958-1961||Vanguard Vignale||2088 cc ohv 4 cylinder||26,276|
|1960-1963||Vanguard Six||1998 cc ohv 6 cylinder||9953|
|1962-1963||Ensign II||2138 cc ohv 4 cylinder||2318|
Military and Commercial
|1940-1943||Beaverette||1,776 cc side valve 4 cylinder|
|1940-1944||12 hp Light Utility||1,608 cc side valve 4 cylinder|
|1943||Jeep||1,608 cc side valve 4 cylinder|
|1947-1958||12cwt||2,088 cc ohv 4 cylinder|
|1954-62||6cwt||948 cc ohv 4 cylinder|
|1958-1962||10 hp Atlas||948 cc ohv 4 cylinder|
|1962-1963||Atlas Major||1,670 cc ohv 4 cylinder|
|1962-1965||7cwt||1,147 cc ohv 4 cylinder|
|The rise and fall of British Leyland - the car companies and the brands - Template:Edit|
|Jaguar||SS Cars||Jaguar||Jaguar||BMH||British Leyland||Jaguar||Ford|
|MG||Morris Garages (MG)||BMW||MGR||Nanjing|
|Vanden Plas||Vanden Plas||Ford|