- Power consuming accessories, such as air conditioning, also take a larger toll on fuel efficiency than they do in a non-hybrid vehicle.
- For maximum efficiency with a manual transmission, shift as early as practicable, and floor the gas. This results in great electric assist, combined with increased efficiency in the gasoline engine. Because the combined torque peak is at 1500 rpm, it is practical to shift at 1500–2000 rpm. This is more efficient than a part-throttle acceleration, shifting at a higher rpm.
- Impressive economy
- Practical body design
- Very little compromises made in this model's quest for economy
- Driving style seems to have a larger effect on MPG than it would in a non-hybrid Civic.
- Tepid styling
- Price premium over normally aspirated civic models (forced to have a model completely loaded)
Performance and Handling
If you like the regular Honda Civic EX sedan you'll like the Civic Hybrid. Despite it having a different drivetrain it drives, for all practical purposes, just like a regular Civic.
The Honda Civic Hybrid has an EPA estimated gas mileage of 40/45 MPG (City/Highway), however, as seen on the Real Hybrid Mileage Database at GreenHybrid.com, the Civic Hybrid gets roughly an observed 47 MPG.
- 3-Point Seat Belts at all Seating Positions
- Front 3-Point Seat Belts with Automatic Tensioning System
- Adjustable Front Seat Belt Anchors
- Driver's and Front Passenger's Seat Belt Reminder
- Dual-Stage, Dual Threshold Front Airbags (SRS)
- Front Side Airbags with Passenger-Side Occupant Position Detection System (OPDS)
- Side Curtain Airbags
- Active Head Restraints
- Anti-Lock Braking Sytem(ABS)
- Electronic Brake Distribution (EBD)
- Brake Assist
- Daytime Running Lights (DRL)
- Side Impact Door Beams
- Outboard Lower Anchors and Tethers for Children (LATCH)
- Child-Proof Rear Door Locks
- Emergency Trunk Opener
Reliability and Maintenance
The Honda warranty on new vehicles is a 3-year / 36,000-mile limited warranty and a 5-year / 60,000-mile powertrain warranty.
At time of purchase, if your car is within American Honda's new-car warranty (3 years / 36,000 miles), the 12/12 limited warranty will begin at the expiration of the new car warranty, giving you a 4-year/48,000-mile limited warranty.
If your new-car warranty has expired, at time of purchase, the 12/12 limited warranty begins on the date of purchase and expires at the earlier of 1 year or 12,000 miles.
Interior and Comforts
The interior is an attempt from Honda to add stylistic flair to the civic which fails miserably. The steering wheel design is baulky and the door cards have a bunch of superfluous grooves in them. Compounding the problem is the bizzare instrument cluster with digital speedometer. The A-pillars are supremely sized and hinder outward visibility. Small quarter windows try to help, but end up exacerbating the problem. Looks aside, the AM/FM/XM Ready®/CD audio system with MP3/Windows Media™ Audio (WMA) playback capability works well and is within easy reach. The available Honda Satellite-Linked Navigation System™ with voice recognition helps when travelling. A fuel range consumption indicator encourages you to drive conservatively. The seats are attractively upholstered, shaped comfortably and have adequate lumbar support. The parking brake has is in an ideal location, placed in close proximity to the gear selector. Storage pockets are plentiful in supply. The assembly quality and materials are typical Honda, which is to say very good.
The 2006 Civic Hybrid has a forward thinking bodystyle. Some may enjoy it, others may shudder upon first glance. The car does have a certain modern flair to it, aided by the aerodynamically styled alloy wheels, which are a welcome departure from the typically dim and uninspired 5-spoke offerings so commonplace today. A long windshield angles dramatically into the hood, to the detriment of outside vision. Body-colored power side mirrors with integrated turn indicators aid safety measures.
Styles and Options
5 seat four-door front wheel drive sedan
- 1.3 Liter Inline-4 cylinder engine with Integrated Motor Assist (IMA)™, producing 110 net horsepower
- Idle stop feature
- Front wheel drive
- Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT)
- Auto day/night rearview mirror with compass
- Fog lights
- Half nose mask
- Full nose mask
- All-season floor mats
- Leather steering wheel cover
- Wheel locks
- Chrome exhaust finisher
- Car cover
- Splash guards
WikiCars Contributor Favorites
Honda Manufacturer Sites