BMW 1 Series
Wikicars, a place to share your automotive knowledge
|BMW 1 Series|
F20 (next gen)
|Production||2006 - present|
|Body Style|| 3-door, 4/5-seat hatchback|
5-door, 5-seat hatchback
2-door, 4-seat coupe
2-door, 4-seat cabriolet
|Length||4227 mm (Hatchback)|
|Height||1430 mm (Hatchback)|
|Weight|| Manual-3252 lbs|
|Engine||3.0 Liter Inline 6|
|Power|| 230 hp @ 6500 rpm|
300 lb-ft of torque @ 1400-1500 rpm
300 hp @ 5800 rpm
|Similar|| Mercedes-Benz B-Class|
The BMW 1 Series is a compact model and represent's BMW's first foray into the compact market. There are four body styles available within the model line: a 3-door hatchback coupe, a 5-door, hatchback, a 2-door notchback coupe and a newly unveiled 2-door cabriolet.
- For 2012, the 1 Series gets a mid-cycle facelift that brings improved aerodynamics, as well as refinements to various controls plus new exterior paint colors, upholstery and interior trim.
- Main article: BMW 1 M Coupe
- On December 9th, 2010, BMW reveals a 2012 BMW 1 Series M Coupe. The car uses BMW's twin-turbocharged 3.0-liter inline-six. It has 350 horsepower and can go from 0-60 in just 4.7 seconds with a top speed of 155 miles per hour.
- In 2011, the JDM market receives the 30 unit-only limited edition 120i Coupe Performance Unlimited. Distinguishing it is the M-Sport package coupled to a variety of accessories for the Bavarian firm's Performance division such as 18-inch alloy wheels shod in 215/40R18 tires up front and 245/35R18 at the back, a blacked-out grille, carbon fiber mirror caps, carbon fiber boot lid spoiler, aluminum pedal set, and leather gear knob and handbrake lever. Offered exclusively in a white or Le Mans Blue finish, pricing is set at ¥4,350,000 (US$50,300). 
- On Sept. 29, 2007, BMW leaked the 2008 BMW 1-Series Convertible on the internet. It will be offered with in four engine variants: a 143 hp 2.0-litre four-pot unit (118i), a 215 Hp 3.0-litre six-pot (125i), the 300 Hp 3.0-liter bi-turbo six-cylinder (135i) and a 177 hp four-cylinder turbodiesel. The electro-hydraulic softtop opens or closes in 22 seconds and at speeds of up to 25mph. Color options for the foor include black or taupe cloth or a unique ‘Moonlight’ black.
- BMW took Nov. 2007 as the month to unveil the 1-series' M Sort Package which will be available throughout the range, including even the 120d and 123d. The package includes 17-inch light alloy wheels in 205/50 rubber up front and 225/45 in the rear, sports suspension for higher traction and reduced body roll, an aerodynamic package with redesigned bumpers, sports seats, high-gloss shadowline exterior trim, M leather steering wheel, gearbox lever and handbrake, M designation door sills and anthracite. 
Styles and Major Options
Certain vehicles come in different trim levels or body styles. Features and major options should be mentioned here.
Add more fields as necessary.
|128i||135i||128i Cabrio||135i Cabrio|
|$29,375||$35,675||$33,875 (€23,000)||$39,875 (€27,150)|
Add more fields as necessary.
As seen on the FuelEconomy.gov website, the City/Highway MPG averages are as follows:
Engine and Transmission
Specifications, details, graphs, pictures and other information regarding the powertrain is placed in this section.
Please make sure to write information of the vehicle's performance in a third-person point of view. This section should include information about the car's acceleration figures, handling, braking, etc.
If using information gathered from Road Test articles from a reputable automotive source, then please make sure to cite the quote.
This section should reference points on safety ratings and features of the vehicle.
Add Photos of the vehicle here.
Please make sure not to use copyrighted photos.
- Vermilion Red
- Marrakesh Brown
If there are hybrid versions of this vehicle manufactured, then please elaborate a little bit on it here.
This section should include information on the interior's design, build quality, ergonomics, space (head and legroom, front and rear), features, stowage compartments and overall comfortability and livability. Add pictures wherever applicable and keep information in a third-person point of view.
Add more fields as necessary.
|Year X||Year X-2||Year X-3||Year X-4|
"It may have double headlamps and the kidney grille and the Hofmeister kink, but viewed as a whole, it looks like a van". - Top Gear
"I'm choosing the words for my conclusion with even more care than usual. So here it goes - the 1 Series is crap." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear
If the vehicle is sold in other markets worldwide, then this is the section to mention that information. Also, mention if the <MODEL> goes by another name in these other markets.
Design quirks and oddities
- The BMW 1 Series had been used for a BMW Celebrity Challenge race for the 2005 and 2006 Australian Formula 1 Grand Prix.
- There is a short length of legroom in the back seat particularly in a hatchback and tall people can have trouble getting access.
The BMW 1 Series has been awarded for 2004 New Zealand's Car Of The Year.
2010 Drive Best Performance Car Over $60,000 (135i Coupe)
2007 Green Car Of The Year (118d)
|image (between 170-190 pixels)|
Concept: Nazca M12 · Nazca C2 · Nazca C2 Spyder · Z11 · Z13 · Z18 · Z07 Concept · Z9 Gran Turismo Concept · Z9 Convertible Concept · X Coupe · CS1 Concept · xActivity Concept · H2R · Mille Miglia · M3 Concept · CS Concept · Just 4/2 Concept · Concept Z4 Coupe · Turbo Concept · X6 Sports Activity Coupe Concept · Concept X6 Active Hybrid · Concept 1-Series tii · M1 Homage Concept · GINA Light Visionary Concept · M8 Prototype · 750i ActiveHybrid Concept · X1 Concept · Hydrogen Powered Salt Flat Racer Concept · 5 Series Gran Turismo Concept · Z Vision Concept · E1 Concept · Vision EfficientDynamics Concept · SIMPLE Concept · Concept ActiveE · ActiveHybrid5 Concept · Concept Gran Coupé · Concept 6 Series Coupé
|Karl Friedrich Rapp and Camillo Castiglioni||Corporate website||Independent|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to:|
- BMW 1-Series Official Webpage
- BMW 1 Series official UK site
- BMW 1 Series official Australian site
- BMW International Official portal
- The new BMW 1 Series Coupé Official BMW 1 Series Coupé portal site
- BMW Deutschland 1-Series Configurator
- BMW 1-Series Coupe, mostly uncovered
- BMW 135i Coupe promotional video
- BMW 1-Series Coupe Specifications and Photos
- BMW 1-series Review Automobile Magazine
- Video: BMW 1-series 3-door Motor Authority
- 2008 BMW 1-Series Convertible – Official Pictures Leaked!
- BMW 1-Series Cabrio Revealed
- BMW launches 1-series cabrio
- New Cars: BMW 1 Series Convertible, Full Press Kit
- BMW 1-Series Coupé Configurator Goes Live
- Ad Watch:You Will Risk Life And Limb For The BMW 1-Series
- BMW USA Announces Pricing on 1-Series Convertible - $34k for the 128i
- BMW 1-Series Performance Parts Brochure Leaked
- Geneva Preview: BMW Debuts 1 & 3-Series Performance Accessories
- BMW announces one millionth 1 Series built
- BMW releases Japan-only 120i Performance Unlimited
- BMW 120i Coupe Performance Unlimited: New Special Edition Version for Japan
- BMW Lifts the Veil off All-new 1 Series M Coupé
- 2012 BMW 1-Series M Coupe with 335HP: Official Details and 80 Photos
- Mild Updates for 2012 BMW 1-Series Coupe and Convertible
- First Look: 2011 BMW 1 Series M Coupe
- Video: Over 11 minutes of BMW 1 Series M Coupe and E30 M3 hotness