Audi R8 (Road Car)
Wikicars, a place to share your automotive knowledge
|Production||2006 - Present|
|Body Style||2-door, 2-seat Coupe|
|Transmission||6-speed manual or semi-automatic|
|Engine|| 4.2 litre (4163 cc) V8|
5.2 litre FSI V10
|Power|| 420 PS @ 7800 rpm|
317 lb-ft of torque @ 4500 - 6000 rpm
525 PS @ 8000 rpm
390.91 lb-ft (530 Nm) of torque @ 6500 rpm
|Similar|| Porsche 997|
Chevrolet Corvette Z06
Aston Martin V8 Vantage
|Designer||Walter da Silva|
The Audi R8 is a mid-engined sports car released by the German automaker Audi in 2006. Audi announced in 2005 that the name of the successful Audi R8 race car would be used for a new road car in 2007, the Audi R8, based on the Audi Le Mans Quattro concept car, which appeared at the 2003 Geneva Auto Show and 2003 International Motor Show. The R8 was officially launched at the Paris Auto Show on 30 September, 2006. There is some confusion with the name which the car shares with the Le Mans winning R8 LMP. Originally, many thought the car would be called the R9 (as there is a gap in numbering left when Audi announced the R8's successor, the diesel-powered R10).
See Wikicars' comprehensive Audi R8 Review.
- On May 1, 2010, Audi unveiled a lighter, faster, more powerful hardcore version of the R8 called the R8 GT. The 5.2-liter V10 now squeezes out 560 PS while loosing 100kg. This means 0-60 in in 3.6 seconds and a top speed of 320 km/h or 199mph. 
- As long expected, the R8 Spyder makes its debut at the 2009 Frankfurt Motor Show. The topless supercar will only come available with the 5.2 litre V10 from the R8 V10 and eschew its characteristic side blades. 
- For 2009, Audi unleashes the R8 V10. According to reports, the new car will come equipped with a detuned version of the Lamborghini's 5.2-liter V10, churning out 528 for R8 duty. That it is reportedly enough to rocket the car to 60 mph (100 kph) in 3.9 sec from naught all the way to a top speed of 196 mph (315 kph). The 10 cylinder supercar will be distinguishable from the regular 8-pot model by enlarged intakes on the side wings, a rearranged headlight cluster which uses LEDs more extensively, oval tailpipes in place of the dual barrels, new "spider leg" rims and less slats on the flank intakes of the front and rear fascias.
Styles and Major Options
- In mid January this year, Audi released images and specifications of a concept R8 which featured a V12 diesel engine. It has been confirmed that the car will be put into production, although the body styling will be altered to suit a production vehicle.
Add more fields as necessary.
|R8 Coupe (Manual)||R8 Coupe (R tronic)||R8 V10 Coupe (Manual)||R8 V10 Coupe (R tronic)|
Add more fields as necessary.
As seen on the FuelEconomy.gov website, the City/Highway MPG averages are as follows:
The Audi R8 will be available with a 4.2 L V8 making 420 hp, as seen in the Audi RS4. Pricing for the 420 bhp model starts from €104,400 or £77,000 (Approx. $140,000 USD). The R8 has a dry weight of 1560 kg (3439 lb). A 0-100 km/h (0-60 mph) time of about 4.2 seconds is possible with a top speed of about 187 mph(301 km/h).
A second, more powerful engine variant that uses a 520-hp 5.2 L V10, a enlargened version of the Lamborghini Gallardo's engine and already seen in the Audi S8, is rumoured but not confirmed by Audi. Audi is currently in the process of developing a new turbocharged 5.2 L V10 engine for the future Audi RS6, and there is a possibility that this engine will make its way into the R8, dependent on marketing decisions. Test mules of this vehicle are developing well in excess of 600 bhp with the turbocharged 5.2 L V10. If this were to happen it is almost certain that this would create an RS8.
According to some sources the 6.0 liter V12 TDI diesel engine from Audi Q7 has been confirmed to Audi R8 as well. This would make Audi R8 by far the fastest diesel powered car in the world with 0 - 100 km/h acceleration in less than 4 seconds.
The 2-seat coupe is already available in Europe, and will be made available to the USA in the summer of 2008. In addition, an open-top roadster, Porsche Carrera GT-like model is rumoured to follow in 2009.
Many publications were hailing it as the first car to truly be able to beat Porsche - considered by many to be one of the best supercars ever made, and the leader in its class. Initial comparison tests have proven quite positive in this respect; Evo Magazine in its comparison test between the R8, 911 Carrera 4S, Aston Martin V8 Vantage, and BMW M6 have claimed that the Audi is a better supercar saying that "Audi humbles Porsche. A new dawn starts today." Other publications have also made similar reviews of the Audi beating the Porsche in comparison tests. The Porsche Carrera 4S, however, costs about $20,000 less in the U.S.
Top speed: 301 km/h (187 mph)
0-60 mph (96 km/h): 4.0 seconds
0-100 mph (160 km/h): 10.1 seconds
1/4 mile (~400 m): 12.5 seconds @ 113.2 mph (182.2 km/h)
Engine Type: V8
Displacement: 4.2 L (4163 cc)
Power: 414 bhp (309 kW) @ 7,800 rpm
Lateral Acceleration<br (200 feet (61 m) skidpad): 1.01 g
Warranty options and scheduled maintainence information should be mentioned here.
This section should reference points on safety ratings and features of the vehicle.
A comparison between the Audi R8 and the Lamborghini Gallardo, both of which sit on the same underpinnings.
Add Photos of the vehicle here.
Please make sure not to use copyrighted photos.
List the colors that the particular <MODEL> is offered in.
Create links to other <MAKE> <MODEL> pages in this section.
If there are hybrid versions of this vehicle manufactured, then please elaborate a little bit on it here.
The Audi R8 shares its basic layout, transmissions, all-wheel drive, a few components, and a modified version of its aluminum space frame architecture with the Lamborghini Gallardo. Although, the majority of the car (about 85%) was developed by Audi and their in-house tuner Quattro GmbH, providing for a markedly different character than the Gallardo.
This section should include information on the interior's design, build quality, ergonomics, space (head and legroom, front and rear), features, stowage compartments and overall comfortability and livability. Add pictures wherever applicable and keep information in a third-person point of view.
Add more fields as necessary.
|Year X||Year X-2||Year X-3||Year X-4|
Please make sure to keep critiques in a third-person point of view. If using criticisms from a reputable automotive source, then please make sure to cite the quote.
Fill in as many as appropriate. Add more if necessary and pictures wherever applicable.
Please make sure NOT to use copyrighted pictures.
Current Generation: (2006–present)
Other than Europe, the R8 is available in the USA and Australia.
Design quirks and oddities
- The Audi R8 features prominently as Tony Stark's (played by Robert Downey Jr.) main vehicle in the 2008 blockbuster Iron Man.
- The R8 was awarded Best Handling Car and Fastest Car In The World of 2007 by Autocar magazine.
- It was awarded SportsCar of the year by German magazine Autobild.
- Playboy Magazine awarded it Car of The Year for 2008.
- The Automobile Journalists Association of Canada (AJAC) named the R8 Canadian Car of the Year, and, in addition, awarded it Best Prestige Car and Most Coveted Car of 2008.
- Top Gear Magazine named the Audi R8 the 2007 Car of the Year.
- Automobile Magazine awarded the R8 the 2008 Automobile of the Year
- The Audi R8 was named 2008 "MSN Car of the Year", with 42% of the votes, beating the Ferrari 430 into 2nd with 13%, and the BMW M3 into 3rd with 11%.
- In the 2008 World Car of the Year awards, the R8 was awarded World Performance Car of the Year and World Design Car of the Year.
- European Car Magazine rated the R8 as Car of the Year.
- Audi R8 Microsite (Concept Movie, Car Configurator)
- Audi R8 - official page at audi.com
- Audi R8
- Audi R8 - official UK page
- Audi R8 - spotted in Moscow
News & References
- Video: Audi R8 Going 200mph - 322 km/h
- Audi R8 Photos
- Audi launches Iron Man mini-site
- Audi Iron Man Minisite
- Audi RS 8 Gets Turbo V10 with 572 bhp
- Autoblog visits the Audi R8 factory in Neckarsulm, Germany
- VIDEO: Audi's "The Art of Performance"
- GT3-spec Audi R8 LMS formally unveiled at Essen
- Preview: Audi R8 ‘Spider’ convertible
- Audi R8 V10: Two More Cylinders For Detroit
- Audi R8 V10 with 528HP: First Official Photos Leaked into the Net
- Official: Audi R8 V10 5.2 FSI with 525HP
- Audi R8 V10 5.2 FSI Wallpaper Galore
- Audi R8 V10 will be all LED, all the time
- Audi R8 Spyder gets an early unveiling
- Audi R8 Spyder Drops Top, Embargo Ahead Of Frankfurt
- Officially Official: Audi R8 5.2 FSI Spyder loses blades, gains lots of headroom
- Audi R8 Spyder Promo Video
- New Audi R8 GT: Hardcore Lightweight Special with 560HP V10
- Officially Official: Audi announces 4.2 V8-powered R8 Spyder
- Audi R8 GT 560HP: New Photo Gallery of Ingolstadt's Flagship Sports Car